Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Thing 21: Podcasts

My husband and son are constantly dowloading new podcasts, but I haven't experimented with them yet. My favorite podcast was Booktalks Quick and Simple by Nancy Keane. I listened to podcasts on Gary Paulsen's Lawn Boy and Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. The audio quality was excellent, and there was music included as well. I found that this podcast was useful and definitely interesting enough to subscribe to. It covered booktalks on a variety of books and new titles are constantly being added. I also listened to an elementary podcast by first graders from the MCDS Huckleberry Room reading stories that they had written. This was cute, and the audio quality was actually good. I didn't find this podcast interesting enough to subscribe to. I found that several of the podcasts were no longer available. Another podcast I listened to was the City of Los Angeles Teen Podcast. It was put on by teens and included book and movie reviews. The audio quality on this one wasn't as good and some of the teens talked too softly. I wouldn't subscribe to this one either. These would be great if someone you knew was participating in the podcast.

I am an elementary librarian and, although I don't think that podcasts would be extremely useful to my patrons, there are some applications. I noticed that under the school section of podcasts, only middle and high school libraries were listed. I can see it being used for booktalks or stories, especially for students who are hearing impaired. Students could also produce their own podcasts of book reviews or stories. Many of my students do not have access to a computer, so I don't think they currently have much experience with podcasts. It would be a learning experience for me as well as them.

No comments:

Post a Comment