Monday, July 27, 2009

Thing 23: Reflection

I thoroughly enjoyed taking the North Texas 23 Things course and would highly recommend it to everyone. I think that it definitely took me out of my comfort zone and led to me explore many aspects of web technologies that I would never have discovered on my own. My favorite Thing is Facebook, both for socializing and networking. Until this course, I had been asked by my children and friends to sign up, but just had never bothered to learn about it. I set up my own Facebook page, and now login every day to check in. The principal at my school often posts information there before emails go out. I have had fun with friends, relatives, and colleagues on Facebook. My least favorite Thing was probably Twitter. I guess I just don't see the point, and no one I know really uses it. I much prefer Facebook. I'm glad I now know what it's about, though. The most challenging Thing was the Blog Readers. I had difficulty setting up the folders and finding information that was relevant to me.

By taking this course, I learned that there is a lot I still need to learn! The information that is available to us is incredible and must be managed. It is our responsibility as librarians to stay on top of new technologies to help our patrons learn how to best navigate all the information. I will use Wikis and Delicious to share information, as well as Facebook. I will also use YouTube for book trailers, especially once TeacherTube is up and running. I would like to use Flickr Mashups and Image Generators in presentations and find ways for students to use them. I know that many sites are blocked at school through the filters, so I will have to experiment and see which ones I can utilize with my students. I am amazed at the possibilities that are available to use today, and am so glad that I had the opportunity to explore this summer!

1 comment:

  1. You did a great job on all your posts. Congratulations on finishing 23 Things!

    - Jesse

    ReplyDelete