Monday, May 18, 2009

Thing 3: Flickr (or Where did the "e" go?)

I have heard of Flickr before, but really didn't know exactly what it was. I use the Kodak EasyShare site for all of my pictures, which is pretty basic. I took the tour to get some idea of what Flickr is all about. Wow - there is a lot of venues for people to create and share their imaginations with the world. If I was a professional photographer, I would be in heaven. My digital camera battery is charging after last night, so I decided to just explore Flickr.

I did a few searches, but since I just got home from work and am already trying to come up with new ideas to freshen up my elementary library next year, my favorite search was for "elementary libraries." Here is the link to my favorite photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessalyn/2678600236/ . The accompanying photostream is full of wonderful teaching ideas, but this picture of the library is exactly what I needed to get some great ideas for next year. The library is colorful and inviting, but my favorite part is the notes feature. You can move the mouse over the bulletin board displays and see the author's comments. She has a bulletin board for poetry month about growing a garden of poetry, but the notes elaborate on how she took favorite poems and put them around the display. The display "Books can take you places" is further explained by mentioning that each car lists a student's name and favorite book. I could never have gleaned that information from the photo alone. The "Leap into Reading" display is also a fun idea. As you can tell, I love the notes features and in one photo already have three excellent ideas for displays. I would say that I hit the jackpot with this exploration of Flickr!

No comments:

Post a Comment