Monday, June 15, 2009

Thing 11: Instant Messenging

I am already on Yahoo and IM some of my friends, so I decided to just sign in using my Yahoo! Messenger account. My user name is just my email, julratliff@att.net. I will admit that I am not a big fan of Instant Messenging, because sometimes someone will want to start sending messages back and forth right when I am in the middle of sending a long email to someone else. I don't want to ignore my friend who wants to instant message, but I have to finish what I'm currently working on. I know my kids and their friends IM back and forth, and my teenager got an I-Phone for his 16th birthday, and IM's from everywhere using that.

I work in an elementary school library, and we communicate quickly using district email. It is always up on our computers, so if a teacher needs a book or has a question, they can just email me and I get the request immediately. It is very similar to instant messaging, so it would just be an addition to that. I have used instant messaging to ask some of the other librarians in the district questions at night on their home computers. However, many times I need to ask a question and the person is offline so I end up calling anyway. As for the dictionary, I know a few of the basics, but it takes me longer to look something up than to just type it out. I think it is fun, though. JMO. B4N.

No comments:

Post a Comment