Monday, June 22, 2009

Thing 13: Tagging

I've used tagging before in an informal way to link to a web site I've created or a picture I've posted. I think that, like most things, it can be beneficial if used correctly. I have definitely seen tags used incorrectly, as when I do a search and end up on a site that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic I was searching, but includes a popular tag just to attract people. I understand that their is not a "tagging police" functionality to the Internet, so this practice will continue. Sigh.....

As far as the library is concerned, as was mentioned in the description, free form tagging can seem like chaos to a librarian who has been trained to use subject headings and search the Library of Congress for the correct headings. I think that there is a place for tagging in the library, but that it should complement rather than replace subject headings. There is a place for each. Adding appropriate user tags to book descriptions might help students find books on subjects that might not be obvious, but I think there needs to be some guidelines. If students add tags to internal books within an OPAC system, then the tags should be approved, much like approving student written book reviews before posting them. Then, let the tagging begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment