Monday, June 29, 2009

Thing 16: LibraryThing

I have seen LibraryThing discussed in several posts on LM_NET, and I was interested in exploring it to find out more. I added a few books in my personal library and found that it was very easy to do. I can see why it would be a good tool to use for book lovers to see what other people have similar interests and libraries. I explored the site and took the tour for an overview. The ThingLang tool that determines the language of a book would be useful for me because I have so many books in my library that are Spanish, and sometimes when I go to look up a book I get the English version or vice versa. The ISBN Check validates the ISBN, which is what Titlewave or similar programs do in libraries. The MARCThing is also similar in that it searches data sources to simplify the MARC data. Even we as librarians are not all experts at cataloguing and use only particular fields in a MARC record.

The "I See Dead People's Books" project is interesting and would to fun to work on, especially if you have a particular author you are interested in. I wasn't surprised that the Librarian's Who Love LibraryThing is the largest group. I found myself caught up in reading the posts. It is very similar to LM_NET as far as the questions that are asked, but it is definitely another source. I scanned the Thingology Blog. Again, there is so much information on this site, that it is hard to take in during one session. I will definitely return. I don't think I will add all the books in my home library at this point, but I can see smaller libraries even using this site as their catalog. I have heard of church and private school libraries using LibraryThing. Another amazing site!

No comments:

Post a Comment