Monday, June 1, 2009

Thing 8 : Facebook

I had kind of hoped to avoid Facebook for a while because I have heard from friends how much time it can take up. Time is one thing I am short of right now. My sixteen year-old son has a Facebook account, as does my aunt, who emailed me a couple of weeks ago wondering if I was getting one. She mentioned using it to talk my cousin, and I can definitely see the value of checking up on my teenager. I'm not sure he would want to be my friend, but I don't think I would give him a choice. Especially if he wants to borrow the car.

Facebook was easy to set up; however, I was having problems entering my Profile information. My computer in the library at school blocked the site, as well as most everything connected with 23 Things. My home computer froze up several times and kicked me out of Facebook, so I will actually have to go back in and finish tomorrow. I took the tutorials, but there are so many layers to Facebook, that it would take a while to really do it right and have a wonderful page. It is like updating my Home Page at school. I have to go in and make sure the links are fresh and the information is updated frequently for it to be of much use.

I am uncomfortable with the privacy issue. I am more of a private person, and sharing my information is a little unsettling. I know there are privacy controls that only let friends see your info, but I'm still on the fence about it all. I can see the social networking and marketing value in spades. I haven't seen my high school friends since our 20th reunion, and getting contacts in different areas of the country would be useful. I guess, like most things, Facebook will take some time getting used to. I'll certainly give it the old college try.

No comments:

Post a Comment