Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Thing 9: More Facebook

I joined Facebook and set up my Profile yesterday, and logged back in to finish today. Lo and behold - I have a Friend! One of my best friends from junior high and high school that lives in Boston put in a Friend request. So, I now officially have one Friend. This is actually much like high school, in that you want to be liked. I feel very funny with only one Friend. I added my son and husband (they have to be my friends - it's the family rule). My university has 40,000 students attending in any one year, so I decided not to start there. I did add my aunt and cousin, which then enabled me to find a few other relatives.

My high school friend suggested I try our old high school, so that was fun. My high school was ginormous as well, and my graduating class had close to a 1000 people. There are over 300 of them on Facebook. I picked a couple that I would love to reconnect with, and then I'll tackle the remaining couple hundred later. I don't even recognize many of the names. I'll have to drag out the old yearbook.

I joined the Berkner Happy Hour, which is my high school group. It has over 300 members. It is a way to find out about local get togethers and reunions. I also joined the Texas A&M Former Students Association, which is thousands strong. My husband and I are both Aggies, and my son is named after the football field (Kyle Field). He is a junior in high school, so I imagine we'll have another Aggie in the family soon. The last group I joined was a School Librarians group that looked interesting. Rather than focus on all the technical aspects of librarianship, it is more of a marketplace for exchanging fun ideas and discussing books. I do like the Group option in Facebook, and plan to spend time in each of these groups. There were many groups that I definitely shied away from. Yikes! It will be interesting to see what groups others suggest so that I can perhaps add some more that look intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment