Monday, June 22, 2009

Thing 15: Digg

I found Digg very interesting to explore, but it reminded me very much of my Yahoo! Home Page. There I can find the top stories in many different categories. I noticed similar stories both on Digg and in today's Yahoo News links. I can't comment or vote on my Yahoo stories, though, so their popularity is determined by the powers that be rather than the general public.

I did hone in on a story about Arizona having the coolest June ever because I lived there for five years. We moved there one nice June day, and the news said that there would be a cold front coming in and tomorrow's temperature would only be 113 degrees. So, Digg does let you pick stories of interest for one reason or another.

I searched "librarians" and found many different news links. I loved the article on whether or not libraries were becoming obsolete. I just had a discussion with a friend that works for a newspaper on the subject. She is worried that newspapers are becoming dinosaurs, and we were discussing how libraries and newspapers were facing similar dire predictions. This article went on to explain that libraries should not become obsolete as long as they adapted to change. I think that is exactly what we as librarians are doing by taking the 23 Things class.

No comments:

Post a Comment